What’s Going on With Your 12th Grader?
Congratulations! You have a 12th grader! It is time to finish strong in the adolescent journey. In order to do that, let’s take a look inside the mind and heart of your 12th grader.
- They have developed physically into their adult bodies.
- Sexual desire is awakened, and the temptation to be sexually active is common.
- Stress is a very real physical struggle as they work, perform in school, and prepare for
The 12th grader may:
- Begin to be very sentimental as they
anticipate life change
- Experience calmer moods than in
- Exhibit impulsive behavior with friends
- Be more capable of taking care of others
- Integrating both physical and emotional intimacy into relationships begins.
- Friends that share beliefs, values, and interests are sought.
- The relationship with parents is more of a support system.
- They begin to feel freedom to express themselves as individuals.
- They can handle the responsibility of most service positions in the church.
- They have much less interest in the student ministry activities and need to be connected to adult activities in the church.
- They have a greater interest in serving others and in making a difference in the world.
- Role models are developed that inspire them either toward or away from faith.
- There is a temptation to “have their fun now” and be responsible later.